• Safe and Readily Available - As a by-product of fermentation and other industrial processes, CO2 is widely available and inexpensive in its pure form.
• Higher diffusivity and lower viscosity compared to traditional solvents - This enables higher mass transfer for efficient and selective extraction.
• Non-Toxic and Pure - CO2 leaves no residue and doesn’t introduce contaminants; this is crucial for ingestible extracts.
• Non-flammable – combustion and explosive risk associated with other solvents is a non-factor.
• Variability - Solvent power can be easily varied through pressure and temperature control.
• Isolation - Isolating extracted compounds from the extraction medium is readily accomplished by pressure reduction and volatiles can be preserved.
• Recyclable - CO2 is an easily recycled, environmentally-friendly solvent.